Trash rebelFacts about plastic
What do you know about plastic?
Get your facts right!
How many facts do we need until we finally realise that plastic is everybody’s problem? When have we become so blind of our own habits to not see the devastation of nature from our own ignorance?
But, you didn’t visit Trash Rebel’s website because you are ignorant; otherwise you wouldn’t be searching for plastic facts right?! Thank you for that!
So, here you go! The next time someone start talking about plastic, you’ll have all your facts ready
The world’s first fully synthetic plastic was Bakelite, invented in New York in 1909 by Leo Baekeland, who coined the term ‘plastics’. Bakelite is also known as polyoxybenzylmethyleneglycolanhydride – a good word for some board games!
- The word ‘plastic’ comes from the Greek word ‘plastikos’, which means ‘able to be shaped or molded’.
- Plastic is any synthetic or semi-synthetic organic polymer; it include elements of carbon and hydrogen. Most industrial plastics are made of petrochemicals. Thermoplastics and thermosetting polymers are the two types of plastic.
- Only thermoplastics can be heated and remolded over and over again. Thermosetting polymers are solidify into a permanent shape.
- Every minute around the world we use:
- 2 million single-use plastic bags (Earth Policy Institute)
- 1 million single-use plastic bottles (The Guardian)
- 91% of world’s plastic waste isn’t recycled. (National geographic)
- 8 Million metric tons of plastic winds up in our oceans each year.( Science Advances Magazine)
- There is more micro-plastic in the ocean than there are stars in the Milky Way. (United Nations news)
- The United States wasted 33.6 million tons of plastic in 2017, and only 9,5% was recycled. (Forbes)
- Indonesia is the second largest contributor of plastic waste into the world’s waters, after China. Bali discards 10,725 tons of plastic waste daily, much of it produced by tourism. A single landfill in Jakarta receives 7,000 tons of plastic waste per day. The expected amount of plastic waste in 2019 for Indonesia is over 10 million tonnes (Asia Sentinel).
Together we control the plastics
Roadmap to a plastic controlled life
Get your tips here!
Stories & Inspiration
Read here our blogs
Get In Touch
Netherlands | Indonesia
+62 (0)819 9983 5974
+62 (0)813 3700 3123